Status and Name
- The name of the commission is Volcanic and Igneous Plumbing System, abbreviated as VIPS.
- VIPS is a scientific non-profit association.
- VIPS is neutral regarding politics and religion.
- The aim of the commission is to provide a forum for VIPS research beyond disciplinary or methodological boundaries and to foster an integrated understanding of magma transport and storage in the crust.
- The commission is committed to support justice, equity, equality, diversity, and inclusion, and to be non-discriminatory.
- The commission supports open science.
- Membership is open to all persons with an interest in VIPS.
- The commission is managed by a committee of volunteers and is composed of at least 3 members.
- Committee roles are advertised to the members’ list. In the case of more than one eligible candidate, election to the committee is decided by a members’ vote.
- The committee can co-opt for a specified period up to 3 non-voting members.
- The following roles are taken on by committee members:
- Early Career Researchers representative
- Equality, Inclusion, and Diversity officer
- Other roles can be added at any time to the committee and committee members can hold more than one role.
- The vice-president is elected by the committe and normally becomes president at the end of the president’s term.
- If the vice president renounces their advancement to president, another member of the committee can be elected directly as president.
- The president sits for up to 3 years, with the first year as a vice president. The president must have been a VIPS committee member for at least 1 year before their election.
- At least 30% of the committee is composed of Early Career Researchers (postgraduate student or postdoctoral researcher).
- The committee meets at least twice a year online or in person. An additional meeting can be requested at any time by any member of the committee.
- Any change or amendment to the constitution requires a unanimous vote of the committee.
Constitution agreed upon on 10 March 2022