Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion is important to the VIPS commission and we hope to our community at large as well. The intricacies of how prejudice effects the lives of members of our community is something that we strive to understand. Therefore we have compiled a list of resources for you to learn along with us. If you have any suggestions on additional resources you think would be of interest to our members, please contact us.
- Test your implicit bias
- Conferences and Webinars
- Reports, guides, and white papers
- Blog posts
- Other EDI organizations and initiatives
- For your kids
Test your implicit bias
Conferences and Webinars
- Berhe, A.A., Barnes, R.T., Hastings, M.G. et al. Scientists from historically excluded groups face a hostile obstacle course. Nat. Geosci. 15, 2–4 (2022). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41561-021-00868-0
- Kavanagh, J. L., · Annen, C. J., · Burchardt, S. · Chalk, C., · Gallant, E., · Morin, J., · Scarlett, J., · Williams, R., Volcanologists—who are we and where are we going?, Bull. Volc., 84:53, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00445-022-01547-7
- Batchelor, R. L., H. Ali, K. G. Gardner-Vandy, A. U. Gold, J. A. MacKinnon, and P. M. Asher (2021), Reimagining STEM workforce development as a braided river, Eos, 102, https://doi.org/10.1029/2021EO157277.
- Cooke, M., Breitbart, M., Cooperdock, E., Levin, N., Niemi, N., Bell, C., Stevens, L., Viskupic, K. (2021) First-year graduate courses foster inclusion. Nat. Geosci. 14, 539–540 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41561-021-00800-6
- Cooperdock, E. H. G., Chen, C. Y., Guevara, V. E., & Metcalf, J. R. (2021), Counteracting systemic bias in the lab, field, and classroom, AGU Advances, 2, https://doi.org/10.1029/2020AV000353
- De Los Reyes, A., Uddin, L.Q. Revising evaluation metrics for graduate admissions and faculty advancement to dismantle privilege. Nat Neurosci (2021). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41593-021-00836-2
- Dowey, N., Barclay, J., Fernando, B. et al. A UK perspective on tackling the geoscience racial diversity crisis in the Global North. Nat. Geosci. 14, 256–259 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41561-021-00737-w
- Duncombe, J. (2021), Seven ways PIs can counteract systemic bias right now, Eos, 102, https://doi.org/10.1029 /2021EO155778.
- Dutt, K. Addressing racism through ownership. Nat. Geosci. 14, 58 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41561-021-00688-2
- Hill, A. F., M. Jacquemart, A. U. Gold, and K. Tiampo (2021), Changing the culture of fieldwork in the geosciences, Eos, 102, https://doi.org/10.1029/2021EO158013.
- Morales, A., C. L. Walker, D. L. Carroll-Smith, and M. A. Burt (2021), Code-switching and assimilation in STEM culture, Eos, 102, https://doi.org/10.1029/2021EO161232.
- Morris, V. R. (2021), Combating racism in the geosciences: Reflections from a black professor, AGU Advances, 2, https://doi.org/10.1029/2020AV000358
- Pensky, J., Richardson, C., Serrano, A., Gorski, G., Price, A. N., Zimmer, M. (2021), Disrupt and demystify the unwritten rules of graduate school. Nat. Geosci. 14, 538–539 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41561-021-00799-w
- Popejoy, A. B. (2021), Too many scientists still say Caucasian. Nature 596, 463. https://doi.org/10.1038/d41586-021-02288-x
- Powell, K., The parenting penalties faced by scientist mothers, Nature, 595, https://doi.org/10.1038/d41586-021-01993-x
- Powell, K. (2021), Academia’s ableist culture laid bare, Nature 598, 221-223, https://doi.org/10.1038/d41586-021-02695-0
- Zeitler, P., Barros, A. P., Becker, T. W., Davidson, E. A., Ehlmann, B. L., Gruber, N., et al. (2021), Confronting racism to advance our science, AGU Advances, 2, https://doi.org/10.1029/2020AV000296
- Cartier, K. M. S. (2020), Geoscience commits to racial justice. Now we’ve got work to do, Eos, 101, https://doi.org/10.1029/2020EO145860.
- Howley, K. D. R. (2020), Deep biases prevent diverse talent from advancing, Eos, 101, https://doi.org/10.1029/2020EO145065
- Keisling, B., R. Bryant, N. Fernandez, M. G. Arredondo, and N. Golden (2020), What’s in a seminar?, Eos, 101,https://doi.org/10.1029/2020EO142460.
- Lauer, A., W. Gram, A. Crall, C. Diaz Eaton, R. Haacker, E. Jack-Scott, A. Pendergrass, and K. Stack Whitney (2020), Scientific meetings for all, Eos, 101, https://doi.org/10.1029/2020EO138951
- Olcott, A. N., and M. R. Downen (2020), The challenges of fieldwork for LGBTQ+ geoscientists, Eos, 101, https://doi.org/10.1029/2020EO148200
- Popp, A. L., C. A. Hall, and Y. A. Yılmaz (2020), How to combat bullying and discrimination in the geosciences, Eos, 101, https://doi.org/10.1029/2020EO151914.
- Sima, R. J. (2020), Accessibility and fieldwork in the time of coronavirus, Eos, 101, https://doi.org/10.1029/2020EO147056.
- Dutt, K. (2019), Promoting racial diversity in geoscience through transparency, Eos, 100, https://doi.org/10.1029/2019EO136977
- López, R. D., and A. Cesspooch (2019), Laying proper foundations for diversity in the geosciences, Eos, 100, https://doi.org/10.1029/2019EO137360.
- John, C.M., Khan, S.B. Mental health in the field. Nature Geosci 11, 618–620 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41561-018-0219-0
- Dutt, K., Pfaff, D., Bernstein, A. et al. Gender differences in recommendation letters for postdoctoral fellowships in geoscience. Nature Geosci 9, 805–808 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1038/ngeo2819.
Reports, guides, and white papers
- The power gap among top earners at America’s elite Universities
- Recommendations for improving racial equality, diversity, and inclusion in the Department of Earth Sciences, University of Oxford
- Gender Equity in Planetary Science
- Inclusive scientific meeting. Where to start
- The Volcanic & Magmatic Studies Group Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Report 2020.
- Six simple steps to make fieldwork more accessible and inclusive by Anya Lawrence
- Mind your Head: An introduction to Workplace Bullying in Academia by Simone Pieber, Elenora van Rijsingen, Derya Gürer and Anouk Beniest
- It’s all for you, girl! A message to girls everywhere from the women in volcanology by Janine Krippner
Other EDI organizations and initiatives
For your kids
- The Curie Society. A graphic novel about an elite organization dedicated to women in STEM that undertakes high-stakes missions to save the world.